Going to Canigao, an island paradise in Matalom, Leyte, is not an easy travel. To get there, you would need to bring out your adventurous side as you travel from one place to another to reach your ultimate destination.
Here is a simple guide on how to get there
From Manila via Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) you have 3 route options.
Tip: Take an early morning flight as you would need to alot significant amount of time for the road / boat trip to Matalom, and then a boat ride to Canigao Island.
Option 1 (get to Canigao via Tacloban):
- Take a flight from Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) in Manila (MNL) to D. Z. Romualdez Airport in Tacloban (TAC). The flight is about an hour long.
- At Tacloban airport, take a van or taxi ride to the bus terminal. This will cost you around PhP 50-100. Another option is to take jeepney which costs much cheaper (PhP 10) but will require you to walk about 300 meters to get to the place where you can flag one.
- When you reach the bus terminal, take a 4-hour bus or van ride going to Matalom which costs PhP 200-250. Ask the driver to drop you off to the town plaza.
- From the town plaza, take a walk to the pier. You can ask directions from locals or follow signages to get there. You may also take a tricycle ride which costs PhP 15.
Option 2 (get to Canigao via Cebu):
- Take a flight from Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) in Manila (MNL) to Cebu Mactan International Airport (CEB).
- From Cebu airport, you can take a taxi going to Pier Terminal 1 to catch a ferry ride going to Ormoc City.
- Once your ferry arrived Ormoc City pier, take a bus going to Matalom port. The bus terminal is located in front of the pier.
From Matalom Port to Canigao Island
- At Matalom port, purchase your two-way ticket from a small ticketing kiosk. The ticket costs PhP 60; it already includes the entrance fee to Canigao Island. The boat ride takes around 10 to 15 minutes.
For day tour: Take the same boat ride in the afternoon to return to Matalom port.
After a long yet exciting travel, you will arrive at Canigao Island!